Provides bright, cheerful pillowcases to children battling cancer and other life-changing illnesses which they receive when they enter the hospital for treatment and are allowed to keep. 100% of donations are used to purchase the needed supplies such as fabric and thread for this project. The pillowcases are sewn by volunteers who range from individual sewers to community groups such as quilting/sewing guilds, scouts, etc. Anyone who is interested can participate!
- fabric (cotton, flannel, or polar fleece material) suitable for children from birth to 18/20 years old
- gift cards to purchase needed supplies
- laundry soap (mild, hypoallergenic)
- sewing equipment: basic items such as scissors, rotary mats, and cutters
- sewing machine in good working order, under 15 years old
- Ziploc bags (quart and gallon sizes)
- card-making supplies: ink, stamps, shape punchers, etc.
- Sewing volunteers: either a one-time project or ongoing.
- Card makers: someone who loves scrapbooking to make cards that are appropriate to include with the pillowcases.
- Community Sew Day hosts: organizations to host a Community Sew Day, where the community is invited to come to your building to sew.
- Community Sew Day helper: help at Community Sew days. Knowledge of sewing machines is helpful but not necessary.