Rochester, NY 14620
Contact: Oni Heard
Generation Two, (G2), is a non-profit organization that pairs trained volunteers with K-2 grade students during the school day for weekly 30 minute 1:1 sessions using child-directed play in-person and virtually. Child-directed play allows the child to make the rules, change the rules, and lead during a play session!
Volunteers attend an orientation in September on child-directed play and roles/responsibilities to prepare for sessions beginning in October. After attending orientation, volunteers are assigned a site based on specific site schedules and volunteer availability. G2 sessions occur on the same day and at the same time each week, and volunteers are assigned up to 3 children for consecutive 30 minute 1:1 play sessions from October to April/May. G2 is currently partnering with Mary McLeod Bethune School 45, RISE Community School No. 106, Autumn Lane Elementary School and potentially East Irondequoit and Helendale Primary School.
G2 sessions will require approximately two hours of volunteering each week. The time commitment includes play sessions, a post-play discussion between the site coordinator and the volunteer team as well as completion of brief journal entries for each play session on the nature of play and the developing relationship with the child.
- action figures
- Candy Land (board game)
- Sorry (board game)
- Knock (board game)
G2 volunteers report to the G2 Site Coordinator:
Primary duties include:
· Attend G2 mandatory orientation
· Attend weekly play sessions at assigned site from, October through May for 2 hours per week
· Utilize child-directed play skills during sessions with K-2 children
· Complete a journal entry after each play session to document observations and questions
· Participate in post-play discussions with site coordinator and other volunteers to close session
· Encourage, nurture and support program participants
· Act in the role of mandated reporter if there are any concerns regarding a child’s safety, both reporting to the child’s teacher and maintaining a written account of the concern
· Complete pre and post surveys for volunteer and assigned students
· Attend additional in-service trainings (3 per year)
· Follow all COVID-19 protocols when on-site for sessions
Agency reviewed listing 7/28/21. (Contact information, description and wish list updated.)