1. Helping Hands on Demand: volunteers who help take the guesswork out of the patient experience by creating warm and friendly welcomes, guiding patients to sign-in/registration kiosks, and escorting/wheelchair assisting patients to waiting areas and exam rooms. (This assignment will begin in late July at our new Riedman Health Center, 1455 East Ridge Road, Irondequoit.) Shifts available: Mon – Fri, 8am-12pm and 12-4pm.
2. Patient Transport & Discharge Volunteer: volunteers answer the discharge desk phone, complete patient transport tickets, and assist wheelchair patients from patient room to the patient’s pick-up vehicle. Shifts available: Mon – Fri, 9am – 1pm, 12 – 4pm, and 2 – 6pm. (Rochester General Hospital Campus.)
3. Visitor (Guest) Services: volunteers greet and welcome those entering the hospital lobby, provide directional, walking and wheelchair assistance throughout the hospital. This is a great assignment for those who want to stay busy/active (over 10,000 steps a shift) and make a positive difference. Shifts available: Mon – Fri, 8am – 12pm, 12 – 4pm and 4 – 7pm; Sat – Sun, 9am – 1pm and 1 – 5pm. (Rochester General Hospital Campus.)
4. Cancer Center Compassionate Companion: volunteers (at least 18 years of age) socialize with and keep patients and families company during infusion sessions, pass snacks, beverages and meals, clean equipment, restock supplies, deliver specimens, run errands, etc. and escort and wheelchair assist patients and/or families around the hospital. Shifts available; Mon – Fri, 8am – 12pm and 12 – 4pm. (Rochester General Hospital Campus.)
5. Emergency Department Patient – Family Companion: volunteers (at least 18 years of age) check in on patients to offer smiles, a listening ear, blankets, pillows and encouragement, answer call lights to determine the patient’s needs (almost 50% of the time, patient needs are non-medical and can be met by volunteers.), offer food and drink, information, support and updates to family members of patients, and clean equipment, restock supplies, deliver specimens, run errands, etc. Shifts available 7 days a week from 10am – 2pm, 2 – 6pm, and 5 – 9pm. (Rochester General Hospital Campus.)
6. Patient Companion-Encourager (Dialysis): Volunteers (at least 16 years of age) provide assistance to our patients during their dialysis treatment such as sitting with and socializing with patients, reading, playing board games, focusing on comfort amenities (extra blanket, pillow, etc.), and more. Shifts available: Mon – Saturday, 8am-12pm, 12-4pm and 4-8pm. (Seneca-Ridge Dialysis Center is located at 370 East Ridge Road.)
Volunteer opportunities suitable for TEENS or Groups of Teens.
#1, #2, #3 can be done by teens (at least 14 years of age and graduated 8thgrade) and #6 can be done by teens who are at least 16 years of age. Unfortunately, group volunteering is not available.
Information reviewed by agency 8/1/18.